Public Speaking and Debating
In the Josie Mitchell Debating Competition St Joseph’s Catholic College has achieved first place on a number of occasions and has also been recognised as a finalist in the competition regularly.
In addition, the Newcastle University Debating Competition, provides a unique opportunity for students to compete against other schools on the central coast and be given professional guidance and advice by recognised adjudicators.
Students from Years 7 – 12 have the opportunity to participate in the Inter-School Public Speaking Competition. Students from the college have a proud and successful tradition in this competition.
Debating and public speaking encourage students to develop the following:
- Confidence to speak in front of a room full of people
- Ability to present an argument persuasively
- Vision to understand that there are two sides to most arguments
- Respect for others, to let them have their say
- Sense of timing, to prioritise material and speak in a given time period
- Structure to order thoughts, to introduce, develop and summarise points
- General specific knowledge of many current affairs topics, learnt through research and debate